It's snowing its tail off out there and it's a Saturday so I don't have to go to work, so what better to do than minis! I love it!
Anyway, over at Casey's Minis she is doing a tutorial on making germaniums. They looked simple enough even for me to do. I was having trouble finding the punch for the petals and looked high and low for them. The site that had those punches was shown by Tabitha in her blog. So I went to that site and found that they are way too rich for my blood, so I searched some more.
Then yesterday coming home from work I decided to stop by Michael’s because I knew the snow was coming and wanted to have all my supplies for the weekend. Anyway while wonder through the scrapbook section I found a pack of mini punches and one of them is the small flower that Casey was talking about. They were only $14 rather than the $48 that the ones online were! I am sure they are nowhere near the quality as the higher priced one, but they will suit my purposes. So I got to work last night and while I was looking around for the beads that Casey was talking about in her tutorial my eye fell upon a box of large headed pins that I was using for sewing some placemats. So I used them instead and created some sort-of-looking-geraniums. I don’t have the punch for the leaves and tried using the small heart one by gluing the tiny corner of one under the petal part. You can see it peeking out of the flower on the extreme right. But I think its way too small. One thing is that you have to use the Aleene’s Fast Grab glue on this project for sure! I did follow those instructions and I can just imagine using the white glue; the petals would just slide off the pin head.
The other thing that Casey suggested was using double thickness suede for the cupping part. I didn’t have that, but the fleshy part of my upper thigh under the sweatpants worked very well; well except for the tiny bruises on it : )
I will keep looking for the punch for the leaves, but for now, I think my sort-of-geraniums look good and they will be fine with lots of them jammed into the space in the large window box on the front of the cottage. I'll post that when it's done.